Thursday, January 31, 2008

FACEBOOK

My kids have "Myspace" accounts, so I have a little knowledge about social networking in reguards to looking over their shoulders at what they feel is appropriate to throw out there in cyberspace. I'm appalled at blabbing to the world your inner thoughts, private photos, confessions, secrets, and opinions.
Facebook seems to multiply all my fears of social networking. The realm of electronic communication is not and cannot be private. I read recently that e-mails deleted by President Regan could still be retrived. Privacy aside, lets talk about the "social" side of this issue.
"Facebook" is a social networking site. What part of socializing does the Library intend to do?
Do we want to be your friend? Or are we looking for another vehicle to insert ourselves into young people's stomping grounds. By the way, anyone savy enough to navigate "Facebook" is competent enough to reach any library resourses they desire.
Now I can get off my soapbox and comment on Facebook in terms of offering one site for all internet social activites. It's like the "Walmart" of the internet, one stop shopping. It works well but is not for me. I'll have to decline on the optional activities of joining Facebook.

No comments: